April 1, 2021 updated
Dear AUSD Parents and Caregivers:
As Albany Unified School District begins the process of returning to in-class learning, all staff and students (or the parents/caregivers of young children) that are returning to campus will be required to complete a Daily Health Screener called Screener19 before beginning the school day. This will be a vital step for the school administration, teachers and staff, and the community to use daily as we work together to keep our schools open and safe for all.
To complete the daily questionnaire through Screener19, all students must log into their school Google account. Then sign into www.screener19.com by clicking the “Sign in with Google” button.
Screener19 will prompt those who are ill to stay home and contact their school site immediately if they have tested positive for COVID-19 in the past 10 days. Screener19 will also ask a series of questions to identify those who are potentially at risk of exposure to COVID-19:
- Will you be attending campus today?
- In the past 10 days, has the student had any of the following symptoms that are NEW or DIFFERENT (cannot be explained by a pre-existing condition, lack of sleep or heavy exercise): Fever of 100 or greater, fatigue, body aches, chills, night sweats, cough, congestion, runny nose, shortness of breath, sore throat, headache, nausea or vomiting, diarrhea, new loss of taste or smell?
- In the past 14 days, have you had close contact with anyone who has tested positive with COVID-19? Answer “yes” only if this exposure occurred between 2 days before to 10 days after the COVID positive person’s symptom began or date of their positive test (if no symptoms). This is the time period when the COVID positive person might have been infectious and should have been in isolation.
- Take your student’s temperature: is the temperature reading 100.0°F (37.8°C) or higher?
After the questions are answered and submitted, the “end screen” will have either a green check mark or a red X which indicates if the student is permitted to come on campus. Staff will be checking at the entrance gates whether students are healthy (green check) and allowed to be on campus OR not healthy (red X) and are not to be on campus. If the student has answered a question resulting in a red X, the parent and student will receive an email from Screener19 with a summary of the answers and our school nurse will follow up with the student and family. The student will not be permitted on campus until cleared by the school nurse.
Another important piece of Screener19 asks students to acknowledge and adhere to health and safety protocols while on campus. We are using this tool to convey preventative measures and we need cooperation and participation as all these preventative measures will help to keep everyone healthy and safe.
- If I am at school and not feeling well, I will tell my teacher and go home immediately.
- Wash my hands with soap and water or use hand sanitizer each time I enter or leave my individual workstation.
- Maintain a minimum of six (6) feet distance from others.
- Sneeze or cough into a cloth or tissue, or if not available, my elbow.
- Wear a face covering prior to entering the school and keep the face covering on while on campus.
- Not shake hands, hug, or engage in unnecessary physical contact.
Each school site will follow up with a specific email to families in regard to how and when the completed daily health screener will be verified for the day. Please view this video on how to use Screener19 prior to your return date. We look forward to seeing you soon.
Alexia Ritchie, Executive Director of Student Services